11/22/2008

White City NIMBY's file protest to project

Do I want a 'safe haven' for homeless mentally ill in my neighborhood? No. Would I beat my head against the wall if Federal law allowed it? No. Would I ever deign to live in White City, with its troubled schools, proximity to ungentrified MLK Expressway corridor neighborhoods and traffic? Noooooo. But the folks in White City see the project as one more nail in their hood's livability, and I cannot really blame them. I would recommend to the WC folk that they develop some outreach to the residents so that homeowners/renters nearby can identify creepy pedestrians as walk-throughs or someone that MHAT can work with on their behavior. Drive by the downtown YMCA - see those disturbing people loitering out front? Those are the folk who are destined for the 'safe haven.' This development follows the announcement that Crossroads Clubhouse is moving to 21st/Harvard, a few blocks down from former Doctors Hospital (which is now Tulsa County's emergency psychiatric facility.) 'Connectors,' indeed. KOTV